Orlando, Florida Employer Lawyers
Wilson McCoy, P.A., Orlando’s employment attorneys, provides hands-on assistance start-ups and existing businesses so they can construct a legally compliant personnel infrastructure. This includes, among other things, human resource counseling, drafting of contracts and compensation plans, policies, procedures, and implementing comprehensive training programs. Our counseling practice covers the full spectrum of employment and labor law, from legal issues relating to recruiting and hiring to terminations, reductions in force, and enforcement of post-termination obligations by former employees. Through advice and counseling, Wilson McCoy, P.A. establishes best practices to ensure compliance and avoid costly litigation. Nevertheless, in the event litigation is required, we use our more than 30 years of experience in employment law to mount strong legal defenses for our clients. Wilson McCoy, P.A. is also equipped to assist its business clients with other transactional work and commercial disputes. In short, our experience permits us to act as our client’s outsourced “in-house” counsel.
A dedicated and loyal workforce is an employer’s most valuable asset. Progressive employers seek to become leaders in their industries by offering competitive wages and benefits, maintaining a safe and productive work environment, and providing real opportunities for growth. Yet disagreements with employees are bound to happen, even when an employer is trying its best. Particularly in troubling economic times, almost any action by an employer, however justified or well intentioned, can give rise to allegations of unfairness or wrongful conduct. These pressures are compounded by an ever-expanding array of employment laws and regulations and sometimes surprising judicial decisions.
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we recognize the challenges faced by today’s employers and their human resource professionals. Through day-to-day counseling and training, we help clients avoid workplace disputes. And if litigation becomes necessary, we offer clients the highest-quality litigation and courtroom capabilities.
Counseling, Advice, Training
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., our goal is to help our clients avoid workplace disputes. To that end, we provide our clients an array of counseling and training services specifically tailored to help them understand and comply with applicable employment laws and regulations. Using this proactive approach, we not only help our clients minimize their legal liability and exposure, but we also enhance their ability to establish and sustain a productive and positive relationship with their workforces.
Wilson McCoy, P.A.’s experienced attorneys counsel clients through all stages of the employment relationship, from hiring to termination, and the myriad issues that arise in between. Our clients look to us to:
- Draft employment contracts, manuals, handbooks, policies, offer letters and other documents that clearly establish the expectations of employees and employers.
- Prepare strong, enforceable non-competition agreements and non-disclosure agreements designed to protect a company’s intellectual assets, good will, and trade secrets.
- Guide them in understanding and adhering to complex laws and regulations, such as those governing workplace safety and wage and hour compliance.
- Advise them on workforce restructurings, plant closings, and lay-offs.
- Educate managers and employees regarding compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination laws.
- Assist them in crafting appropriate accommodations for persons with disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and similar state laws.
- Manage long-term leaves of absence to comply with the intricacies of the Family & Medical Leave Act, the ADA, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, and state workers’ compensation laws.
- Conduct internal investigations and prepare investigation reports and disciplinary paperwork.
- Manage volatile disciplinary situations and terminations.
- Help them in becoming aware of and preventing workplace violence.
We also conduct seminars and instruct managers and supervisors in such areas as sexual harassment prevention, reasonable accommodation of disabilities, discrimination, progressive discipline and termination, internal investigations, and wage and hour issues.
Small Business Retainer Program
To enhance our ability to provide training and counseling to our clients, Wilson McCoy, P.A. has developed a Small Business Retainer Program as an alternative to traditional hourly billing. We recognized that some employers, concerned about running up a legal bill, sometimes hesitate to contact their attorney to ask about what is perceived to be a routine employment issue, only to discover later that the issue has escalated into a major and costly dispute.
Through our Small Business Retainer Program, clients pay a flat monthly fee to receive regular employment law advice and receive deep discounts to our regular billable hourly rate. At no additional cost, Orlando’s Wilson McCoy, P.A. attorneys will visit a client’s business and determine the client’s employment law needs. This permits our attorneys to gain a greater understanding of the dynamics of a client’s workplace, which will enhance our ability to assist a client in avoiding or resolving disputes with minimal cost or disruption.
Contact us for more information regarding our Small Business Retainer Program.
Employment Litigation Defense
Our lawyers are often capable of resolving difficult and sensitive matters favorably for our employer and small business clients. Regardless, if we are unable to reach a favorable settlement, we will use our knowledge and familiarity with the court process to zealously defend your matter in State and/or Federal court. We have successfully defended employer’s employer against claims alleging:
- Failure to Accommodate Disabilities
- Wrongful Discharge
- Breach of Contract
- Violation of Wage and Hour Laws, including purported class actions
- Negligent Hiring and Supervision
- Violations of Non-Competition and Non-Disclosure Agreements
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., our employment attorneys have handled cases with both Federal and State courts and agencies, such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”), the Florida Commission on Human Relations (“FCHR”), the Department of Labor, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (“OSHA”). We understand employment litigation is charged with emotions and negative publicity, however we can help our clients minimize the negative effects and keep their positive business reputation.
Call us today to find out more about our litigation capabilities.
Business Organizations & Start-Ups
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we handle the full range of small business legal matters, however large or small. We understand that our clients do not have the time or expertise to handle legal matters. Their time is best spent on their businesses. Accordingly, we help start-ups and small businesses with the formation of business entities, such as a corporation or LLCs; handling corporate work of all kinds and advising on corporate maintenance; drafting, reviewing, and advising on contracts of all kinds, including commercial leases and standard terms; employment and contractor issues and counseling; trademark and other intellectual property matters; Internet law; and commercial transactions. In summary, we can act as contracted “in-house counsel” for our small business and start-up clients.
Commercial litigation includes a wide range of litigation over any business matter, from simple contract disputes, to highly complex matters. Commercial litigation may include any of the following:
- Breach of Contract or Fiduciary Duties
- Tortious Interference with Contracts or Business Relationships
- Shareholder/Partnership or Corporate Management and Control Disputes
- Business Dissolutions
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Unfair Competition and
- Collection Issues.
At Wilson McCoy, P.A., we represent both large and small businesses, as well as individual clients, in a wide range of contractual/quasi-contractual matters, such as
- Breach of Sales
- Agency Agreements
- Tortious Interference with Contracts or Advantageous Business Relationships, and
- Breach and Enforcement of Franchise and Intellectual Property Agreements.
Our firm also handles broad range of employment-related disputes, such as
- Enforcement of a Non-Compete Covenant
- Defending Businesses Against EEOC Complaints
- Defending Businesses Against Discrimination Claims
- Defending Businesses Against Wage and Hour Claims, and
- Employment Contracts Disputes
If you or your business have a need for any of the above-described services, please do not hesitate to contact us today so we may put our 30-plus years of experience to work for you.